First, there was Vine, now TikTok. TechCrunch has dubbed the platform as “the Instagram for the mobile video age.” No matter how you slice it, the app is taking the social media world by storm, and businesses are taking note. Here’s why club owners like yourself should be paying attention to TikTok marketing for your growing fitness studio.
What is TikTok anyway, why does it matter?
If you didn’t know already, TikTok is kind of a big deal, especially among Gen Z users. Since the app launched in 2016, the app’s user base has grown to include more than 500 million accounts. In addition, the platform recently celebrated its one billion-downloads mark. There’s no signs to indicate this growth will slow in the coming months either. TikTok positions itself as a “destination for short-form mobile videos,” but it comes with all the bells, whistles and traditional features of a social media community as well.
Users can share vertical, looping videos between 9 to 15 seconds in length. There is a native in-app editing toolkit that comes with a variety of filters, effects, and an extensive music library. This allows the content creator to tune and score their video to clever and often comedic effect.
Bottom line? TikTok is driven by fun and visually appealing content. If you take a quick glance at the app’s trending page, you’ll find it inundated with nonsensical videos and 15-second comedy sketch routines. The app isn’t the appropriate place for a serious, overly-preachy sales pitch. Remember, TikTok’s primary demographic is users between the ages of 16 and 24, according to GlobalWebIndex, so you need to think of creative ways to convey your messaging to them if you ever hope to find success on this platform. Now let’s explore some common marketing strategies brands employ on the platform!
Participate or create a hashtag challenge
Hashtag challenges are the bread and butter of the platform and the TikTok marketing community. Whether you’re a veteran user or a newbie, there are always several challenges running that you can join. Most challenges on the app revolve around recreation and iterating the video with a creative twist. Your fitness brand can participate in a few existing challenges to drive awareness and views back to your profile. Alternatively, you can create your own hashtag challenge.
Encourage the community to showcase their morning fitness routine or share a favorite self-care activity. They could put a unique spin on a traditional exercise like squats too. A fun and well thought-out hashtag challenge not only helps to promote your fitness business but also drives user interaction and engagement.
Partner with influencers for TikTok marketing
TikTok marketing influencers might not be as huge as their YouTube or Instagram counterparts, but they’re well on their way. You can partner with them to expand your reach and engagement on the platform. GenZers typically can snuff out a traditional ad from a mile away. Collaborating with TikTok influencers can help you bridge the generational gap and connect with a highly-valued target market. For example, fitness clothing brand Gymshark partnered with various health and wellness-focused TikTok influencers to promote their “66 Days | Change Your Life” challenge. Users were prompted to choose a personal goal and upload a photo. Sixty-six days later, the user uploads their “before” image with an updated photo for a chance to win a year’s supply of Gymshark products.
To achieve optimal results from your TikTok influencer marketing campaign, do your research and ensure the influencer’s audience matches your target demographic. To find the right influencer that matches your brand values, look for online tools to search through TikTok influencer bios. In addition, keep your eyes peeled for mentions of other brands, where this influencer is based, the most popular languages used with their audience and more.
TikTok branded advertisements
The platform offers four different types of ads your brand can utilize including:
- Infeed Native Content: Create your own looping video and broadcast it to your target demo’s feed. This type of ad is similar to Snapchat or Instagram story ads. It supports multiple calls to action including website clicks or app downloads. Metrics available for this ad format include number of clicks, impressions, CTR, video views, play duration, and video interactions (like share and comments).
- Brand Takeovers in TikTok marketing: Take over TikTok for the day! Create aesthetically pleasing images, fun GIFs and interactive videos with embedded links to landing pages or branded hashtag challenges.
- Hashtag Challenges: While you always have the option of organically promoting your club’s hashtag challenge, you also have the choice to promote hashtags to boost your engagement.
- Branded Lenses: Promote your own branded lenses or filters similar to Snapchat 2D and 3D lenses for faces and photos.
As with any social media platform, strategic advertising campaigns help put your brand in front of the people who matter.
So, has our guide helped to demystify TikTok for you? If your fitness studio is looking to target a younger demographic, TikTok is the ideal place to grab their attention. Employ these tips to ensure you get the most out of your TikTok marketing strategy.
- How To Ensure Proper Customer Data Transfer When Migrating Out Of MindBody
- The Most Popular Wellness And Fitness Trends In New York For 2020
- 4 Widgets To Improve Conversion On Your Fitness Studio’s Website
- Facebook Ads: Boost Posts or Use Ad Builder? What’s Best for Your Fitness Studio?
- The Fitness Business Podcast | COVID-19 Planning: Action Plan & Tips for Fitness Business Owners & Managers